Nomination of Someone for District Award of Merit

All non-advancement related awards and recognitions. (Anything except Ranks, Merit Badges, and Palms.)

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Nomination of Someone for District Award of Merit

Postby mt_goodrich » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:16 pm

Need some advice from some of the more experienced Scouters involved on the district level.

I would like to nominate someone for the District Award of Merit this year. Final date for accepting of nominations is April 1st.

Here is why I would like to nominate this person:

He currently serves as a Cubmaster and Webelos Den Leader in the same pack. He also serves as a unit commissioner for two other Cub Packs. These are new packs and he has been helping them along for he past year. He is very knowledgable about the Cub Scout program and is someone others seek out for help.

He also is currently on the district training team. He has been involved for the past year training new Cub Leaders in BALOO, OWLS and the NLE courses, along with the Cub Leader specific courses.

This year, he is responsible for the district Pinewood Derby. He has also assisted three other packs with their Pinewood Derbys since they were new. He has personally taken his Pack's Pinewood Derby track and set it up for other Packs to use.

This past October, he completed the Wood Badge Training part and should have his ticket items completed by March 31st.

My question is: Do you think this is enough for me to nominate this person? I think it is, but just seeking the advice of those more experienced.
Mike
* Crew Advisor, Crew 2598 Longhorn Council
* Eagle Scout - 1982
mt_goodrich
Bronze Palm

District

Postby riverwalk » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:34 pm

This is but one opinion, but helpful I hope. Sounds like a deserving Scouter, though most recipients seem to have more years of service to the District. But that isn't to say the Scouter shouldn't be submitted.

Here's the thought many don't realize. The District award is limited to so many for the District. So if they receive too many, you'll often see those with broader and long service recognized. So put it in no matter what happens. Just like the Council award of Silver Beaver, if never submitted, never considered.
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby mt_goodrich » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:10 pm

Thanks for your insight....that is why I had asked.

I am going to go ahead and nominate him because he seems very deserving. I think he has a good shot because all of our tenured Scouters that are very active in our district have already received this award. This person is very active and very high profile. Everyone knows him and he is so helpful and involved.
Mike
* Eagle Scout - 1982
mt_goodrich
Bronze Palm

District

Postby riverwalk » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:30 pm

Ahh well, if the other active multi-hatters have been so honored, then go for it. Also as you probably know, Districts usually create other local awards to recognize those they can't cover with the Award of Merit.

Kudos for your desire in considering this. Recognition is what we do for others, as they serve others.
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby RWSmith » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:31 am

Oh yeah, definitely... submit it. If he doesn't get this time a round, save a soft copy so you can update it and resubmit it next time around.
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby Mrw » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:05 am

It never hurts to ask when the worst thing that can happen is you are told, "No."
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Re: Nomination of Someone for District Award of Merit

Postby Billiken » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:21 am

mt_goodrich wrote:My question is: Do you think this is enough for me to nominate this person?

Absolutely
"The only problem with Boy Scouts is, there aren't enough of them." Will Rogers
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby Hubert » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:20 pm

This sounds awsome to me. My mother nor I will ever be able to get this award as long as one person sits on the board. A person on the board holds a grudge agenst me and my mother, due to me transfering troops. I switched from that troop to my current troop, otherwise, I was dropping. However, this person does not like myself or my mother, and when I asked if I could send my old scoutmaster an Eagle CoH invite, I was told not too because they are NOT interested.

This person also sits on the board for council and will not let us get it, I have submitted my mothers name a few times, with all she has done,. pulling multiple roles in a pack, troop, and now crew, getting staff together for trainings and campouts, planning full weekend camps, and the list just goes on. However, she has never got this award, which disapoints me, but I know one day soon she shall.
Justin
Asst. Scoutmaster
Eagle Scout Class of 2008
13 Years in scouting.
Hubert
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:22 pm

It is always better if the nomination comes from a Non family Member
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby OldGreyBear » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:44 pm

I am not sure if all Councils/Districts run the same way, but in the District I serve there is something called the District Fellowship Award. it is common practice to award the Disitrct Fellowship Award and 2 years later the District Award of Merit if the person keeps up their level of activity. You may want to be sure of the traditions in your District
OldGreyBear
Ephesians 6:4
Fathers, do not irritate and provoke your children to anger [do not exasperate them to resentment], but rear them [tenderly] in the training and discipline and the counsel and admonition of the Lord.
OldGreyBear
Eagle

District

Postby riverwalk » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:17 pm

Hubert, your mother would definitely qualify for a Unit award or something the District wants Units to submit names for. Typically around my place, the District Award of Merit is considered for those serving the District (larger scope) level. Many of us serve in multiple Units, but some also serve in District and Council level activities.

Your Unit would have no influence on the decisions at these levels, except for maybe submitting a name. And certainly there is no bad attitudes about you changing Units. If that is the case, then somebody needs to hand in their card. :wink:
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby owl scouter » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:24 pm

I know I'm late to the discussion on the District Award of Merit, but as my Distrct Awards Chair, a former Disctrict Chairman and someone that has been on the selection committee for many years, and has the District Award of Merit I totally agree that you should put in the nomination. I know it may be too late for this year, but here are some hints.
First, there is a form for the award and it seems those nominations that come in with the form filled out look more profesional. Second, the form has a place to check off other awards or accomplishments of the person being nominated. Things like trainng ribbions, OA membership or Wood Badge completion.
It also has a narritive, but that part has only a few lines. Do not write a book, but attach a page with all the accomplishments writen out. One person earlier was right, the awards will first go to someone doing a lot for the District. But helping other units in a district is doing something for the district. The point is to put the district work up front in the write-up. Get the selection committee's attention that this person is someone that should be sellected.
Oh, and do not forget to mention the years of service. Many years can be worth extra points. Hope she wins. Let us know.

John
owl scouter
First Class

Postby scoutaholic » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:06 pm

In my district they beg for nominations, and everyone nominated gets the award. Our district population is such that they can give 12 awards each year, but most years there are not 12 nominees.
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - Troop/Team/Crew Advancement Chair & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, COR, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Postby jr56 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:28 pm

Go ahead and submit the nomination, the worst that can happen is they won't be chosen this year. But, their name will be familiar to the selection committee, and if you submit another nomination the following year, maybe they'll get it then.
jr56
Bronze Palm

Postby mt_goodrich » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:11 pm

jr56...very good point.

I attended the district committee meeting and was told that only ONE nomination had been submitted. There are three that are allowed to be given out this year.

I turned mine in that evening.
Mike
* Eagle Scout - 1982
mt_goodrich
Bronze Palm

Postby owl scouter » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:46 pm

Wow, Distrct Award of Merits going beging! Not in our distirct. I'm the District Awards Chair and I will have at least 10 nominations for the three we can give out. I know half a dozen people that I would be very happy to see get the award. We were a quality district for a couple years and you do not do that without great people doing great things.

John
owl scouter
First Class

Awards

Postby riverwalk » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:30 am

This is our last year, before the big split again. I was hoping quite a few would be recognized. I think we're always a
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Awards

Postby riverwalk » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:33 am

This is our last year, before the big split again. I was hoping quite a few would be recognized. We're usually a Quality District and try to have other recognitions, for those not getting the Merit one.
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby owl scouter » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:36 pm

I have a knot for all of you that most probably do not know exists. I did not know about it till a couple weeks ago. It is the Community of Association Knot. I saw a buddy with it and it is dark yellow and black I think.
There may be other ways to earn it, but I'm a retired military officer and my friend is a retired military enlisted person. He told me I can send a copy of my DD 254 (A Department of Defense form that tells the world what you did on active duty) that shows you earned the Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Metal to BSA HQ. I earned the medal about 15 years ago when it first came out. Foster care, church and yes Boy Scout support got me the award.
So you send the DD 254 info to BSA HQ with a check to pay for the ribbons and your in.
Not many earn the Military Volunteer award, then you have to also be a scouter, and then you have to know about it so getting it is rare. My friend was the first person I ever saw with the knot.
If anyone else has the Military Volunteer Award and wants more info on this just post a note and I will hunt it down.
Tomorrow at Roundtable it just so happens I will be donating $1000 to the Council to become eligable for the James E. West Award that I will get in Nov at a fall even our Council has for awards other than the Silver Beaver. So the two will take me from 8 to 10. Not bad for a non-Eagle, no Cub Scout awards scouter.
John
owl scouter
First Class

Postby owl scouter » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:39 pm

I may be the only one keeping this post going, but reading that there are Districts out there that can not give away the District Award of Merit is just killing me. I'm the Awards Chair of Chillicothe District in Tecumseh Council here in Ohio. We have about 70 units so we get three Awards to give out. I received nominations for 17 people!!!!! And that does not count the fact that a couple got nominated by different people so I had a total of about 20 nomination forms.
I wish one District could will extras out to others. :(

John
owl scouter
First Class

Next

Return to Awards and Recognitions