Courts of Honor

This is to be used when something does not fit in any of the Other Forums

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Courts of Honor

Postby milominderbinder2 » Thu May 22, 2008 6:40 pm

This is the discussion for the Courts of Honor page on meritbadge.org.

This page addresses if awards should be held for the next Court of Honor (No), and many other issues.

- Craig
milominderbinder2
Eagle

Re: Courts of Honor

Postby Old Beaver » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:51 am

Our troop is taking a look at the way we manage Courts of Honor, which have become a bit "too informal" in recent sessions. I'd be interested in ideas that others have utilized to make their Courts of Honor more meaningful. I noted a reference on Meritbadge.org to a "sample script", but the website didn't support that application and it isn't accessible. Does anyone have one to share?

Jim Cervantes
ASM
Troop 277
Pleasant Hill, CA
Jim
Woodbadge WE3-23-08 (Beaver Patrol)
ASM, Troop 277
Pleasant Hill, CA
Old Beaver
Tenderfoot

Postby Cowboy » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:56 am

What do you mean by informal? We do expect that everyone be in full uniform for all COH. I know that there is a lot of discussion on this board about when to "award" patched and badges, so this will probably start a flame war, but: We hand out almost all awards at the COH. This keeps the COH special rather than just another meeting with parents around. It is our feeling that by establishing this "Special" meetign to give the awards we are keeping it as more than run of the mill, just another day. We do establish a schedule with the MC of the evening (almost always a Scout working on the Communications MB), and try to stick with that. Parents and grandparents are encouraged to attend, and the boys are also encouraged to invite anyone else that they want.
Cowboy
Eagle

Postby jr56 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:36 pm

I always tried to have a ceremony for each rank awarded, complete with props and candles, etc...rather than just calling out the boys name and having them come forward.
jr56
Bronze Palm

Postby Old Beaver » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:46 am

In our case, Scouts are in full uniform and we present all badges at the COH (although that practice is under some discussion now). I used the word "informal" in my earlier post to get at a casual attitude about the event that I've observed by many Scouts making the presentations. Let's say that public speaking hasn't been our strength. I've volunteered to serve as the adult leader for the next COH as the prior individual had pretty minimal involvement. I'd be interested in experiences that this network has that we may consider for our program.

Jim
Pleasant Hill, CA
Jim
ASM, Troop 277
Pleasant Hill, CA
Old Beaver
Tenderfoot

Postby Cowboy » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:36 am

Most of our COH are not super formal. We do have a "program" that the boys follow, but they do also have some autonomy. We usually have a pot luck supper with the COH to immediately follow. Here is the outline:
Arrival/ Set up conducted by the Service Patrol
Posting of the Colors
Prayer
Chow - During this we usually have a slide show playing with pictures since the last COH. Conversation
Presentation of Merit Badges - SPL or ASPL with the assistance of the MC (We usually have a Scout who is working on the Communications MB)
Presentation of Rank Advancements - SM with the help of the MC.
Special Awards or Recognitions
Announcements
Retire Colors
Cleanup Service Patrol

Scouts are expected to be in full dress uniform including sash for all Courts of Honor. They are also expected to conduct themselves as Scouts, not monkeys. Parents and Grandparents are strongly encouraged to attend and those that fail to do so receive a personal invitation to the next one.
Cowboy
Eagle

Postby Old Beaver » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:37 pm

Since my last posting, we've had a couple of additional Courts of Honor, both of which were improvements over the earlier ones. With the thought that this may be of use to some, I've pasted the following text from a Word file I put together to prep the masters of ceremonies and presenters on their roles:

Court of Honor Notes

Invitation and Program Cover
•Use a “Scouting appropriate” theme

Masters of Ceremonies
Before
•Be sure to sign up all speakers—Scouts and Adult Leaders—as early as possible.
•Get the mailed invitation notice out at least three weeks before the Court of Honor date.
•Have all your talking parts written down beforehand. Put them on index cards held together with a ring or clasp.
•Practice your talks and introductions multiple times before the Court of Honor.

During
•Be sure to welcome families and guests at the beginning of the program.
•Remember “Scout Spirit”-smile and have a good attitude. Look like you're enjoying the program.
•When presenting badges, be sure to shake the recipient’s hand. Use the Scout handshake (left hand).

After
•At the end of the slide show, be sure to tell the audience that the program has concluded, thank them for attending, and tell them where they can find the refreshments.

Rank Advancement Presenters
•Have your talk written down beforehand and practice it multiple times before the COH. Be sure to bring your notes with you.
•Think of something you enjoyed, learned or was particularly challenging in earning the rank and relate that in your talk.
•The First Class Scouts will be trading the generic red neckerchief for the Troop neckerchief. This is a big deal and always takes more time than the other awards. Take the time to explain to the audience the significance of the Troop neckerchief and what’s on the patch.
•Remember, this is a big moment for these Scouts and their parents. When you’re done talking, congratulate them and ask the audience for applause.

Outing Presenters
•Have your talk written down beforehand and practice it multiple times before the COH. Be sure to bring your notes with you.
•Think of something you enjoyed, learned or was particularly challenging in the outing and mention that in your talk.
•Acknowledge the boy leader (if not you) and thank the adult leader for organizing the outing and the other adults for participating.

Scouts Receiving Awards or Badges
•Remember that the Master of Ceremonies will be shaking your hand. Wait a second while he hands you your packet. Don’t grab and go!
•Face the audience. Your parent may be trying to take a picture of you.
•Smile! You’ve put effort into the merit badge or award.
•Don’t stand in front of the Scout who is receiving the award. You don’t want to block the view of the audience and anyone who is trying to take pictures.
•Say “thank you” to the person handing you the award.

Patrol Leaders
•As the members of the Troop are introducing themselves, be sure to bring up your patrol so that you’re ready to go when the patrol in front of you is finished.
•Be sure the patrol members know how to say the name of the patrol!
Jim
ASM, Troop 277
Pleasant Hill, CA
Old Beaver
Tenderfoot

Return to General Advancement Information