Hornaday Advisor?

All non-advancement related awards and recognitions. (Anything except Ranks, Merit Badges, and Palms.)

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Hornaday Advisor?

Postby kimberbakos » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:47 pm

My son is very interested in trying to earn a Hornaday Award. He will begin his Eagle project this fall, and he saw that it can count as one of the Hornaday projects if it is conservation related. However, all Hornaday projects require an Advisor. If you have earned this or know someone who did, how do you go about getting an advisor? And does the same advisore oversee all the projects done for the award?
Xiamenmom
Mom to one Scout
MB counselor/Activities chair
kimberbakos
First Class

Postby Quailman » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:52 pm

Good for your son! I have taken the Hornaday advisor training twice (all other classes were full at University of Scouting so I took it again). My problem has been in scaring up boys or even units who want to earn it.

I am listed at the Council. We have a Conservation Chairman who reviews the applications. The badge is awarded by your council, but the medals come from national. Check at your council to see if someone has a list of Hornaday advisors. You need not use the same advisor for all projects, but why not? You may only have one available to you. Your facility advisor (the park manager, camp director, etc) will probably be different for each.

I see that you are already aware that he can use the same project for one of the Hornaday projects and his Eagle project. Also, Hornaday projects (but not the Eagle one) may be done on BSA property. Camps
have many conservation needs. There's a list of opportunities in my council area (Greater Houston TX) here. I only include that so he might get ideas for projects.

Good luck to your son!
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby jr56 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:16 pm

When my son earned his Hornaday, he used the county conservation officer in charge of all the forest preserves for our county. Get in touch with your local DNR office, they should be able to provide you with someone to get in contact with.
jr56
Bronze Palm

Postby scoutaholic » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:14 pm

I didn't know there was a training and certification process for the Hornaday project advisor. I thought it would be the conservation officer at the facility where the project is done.

We just recently got a Hornaday chairman in our council. He verified for me that the advisor can be different for each project. He also mentioned that the projects do not all have to be as involved or difficult as the Eagle project.

I have never seen anyone in our area wear the Hornaday knot. I'm not sure it has ever been awarded here. Apparently our council staff doesn't know much about how it is done. Our new district Hornaday Award Chairman was told at council that, "We don't do that here."

My troop earned the unit award several years ago, and the council didn't seem to know how to handle the application. It took several calls from me to get the application processed and get the certificate back.
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - Troop/Team/Crew Advancement Chair & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, COR, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Postby scouter01 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:12 pm

I got the Archaeology Mb and when he guy came over, he talked about te hornday for a little. He worked for the Natural History museum, so maybe call there. THey might have someone.
scouter01
Eagle

Postby Quailman » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:12 pm

In our council each project will effectively have two advisors. The project advisor is the person with the need (forester, park manager, etc) who makes sure the project is needed and is carried out correctly. The BSA Hornaday advisors see to it that the report is done correctly before it is submitted. It's much like the life to eagle coordinator in your troop vs. the representative from the benefitting organization.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Re: Hornaday Advisor?

Postby smtroop168 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:42 pm

Anyone have a completed/approved project you could email me?
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:09 pm

There's a very comprehensive site (including projects) at http://www.conservationbsa.com/. #1 is considering it for his Eagle as well; especially since another project can be combined with the Hometown USA award.
Last edited by RWSmith on Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Broken link... referenced website is no longer in service.
AquilaNegra2
Eagle

Postby smtroop168 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:59 am

Thanks for the help.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Return to Awards and Recognitions