US Heritage Award

All non-advancement related awards and recognitions. (Anything except Ranks, Merit Badges, and Palms.)

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Postby JVCXXVI » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:31 pm

I sent my check Jan 10th and it hasn't been cashed yet. When did you send your check? When was it cashed?
JVCXXVI
Second Class

Postby John F. » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:13 pm

Once you receive the patches, can you post a time line? Sending in your check to getting the patches.
John Furlong
Asst. Scout Master

Alice: "How long is forever?"
White Rabbit: "Sometimes just a second."
John F.
Star

Postby scrufmonst » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:17 am

I mailed the check on Dec 17th it was cashed on Feb 11th.

So JVC I think you might have another month or if they only check once a month or once eveery two months you may have had your check cashed (hopefully).

I will keep all informed about when they arrive and what condition they are in.
Scott

TDL, DL
NE-IV-205
NCAC 92-92... a Good 'Ol Fox
CS Roundtable Staff
District Cub Scout Training Chair
scrufmonst
Second Class

heritage award

Postby mommatoodle » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:41 pm

this is interesting..my son (now in 9th grade) did this award in the 5th grade and the awards came very quickly. I wonder what has changed since then?
mommatoodle
First Class

Postby scrufmonst » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:13 pm

Well, the awards finally came 2 months into this endeavour.....and think almost to the day.

So, JVC it woudl appear that you have about another month to go if i read your dates correctly.

Hopefully you will get them sooner.

I am still not impressed withthe companies customer service, never got a response to emails.

I woudl recommed this award but with a strong caveate, you will have to wait for them to do their job and get things together they dont wait for you to come to them.

oh well.

Scott
Scott

TDL, DL
NE-IV-205
CS Roundtable Staff
scrufmonst
Second Class

Re: US Heritage Award

Postby JVCXXVI » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:20 am

Just an update. I ordered my medals on Jan 17, 2008 and received them June 19th, 2008. I had sent numerous emails and never did receive a response.
JVCXXVI
Second Class

Postby scrufmonst » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:43 am

JVC,

That is appalling, 6 months to deliver on an order, i expect that from woodworkers but not award providers,as isnt it all about the "immediate recognition", especially for the Cubs.

But anyway, I have been following several other threads on different forums. Therre is a group that is doing an award of this magnitude and i think i am going to follow them.... below is the URL

My thought is that all of us who want to see our boys receive this type of education and award for it move over to this new award and support them.

www.youthpatriotism.org

YIS
Scott
Scott

TDL, DL
NE-IV-205
CS Roundtable Staff
scrufmonst
Second Class

Postby joat » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:50 am

I don't understand why anyone would want to find other another program and award to supplement the BSA program. Is Cub Scouting lacking in patriotism?
joat
Life

Postby bkale » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:44 pm

Hi all...

My first post here on this Discussion Network.

I am the person starting up the Youth Patriotism Awards program.

The history of the program I have started is directly related to the US Heritage Award that used to be run by Nations Trails. Over the last two years, Nations Trails has been taking money in from people but not providing the medal for the program. I was one of the leaders that lost money thru this company. I know several of the posters on the forum have talked about legal action but I am unaware of what came of that.... so make sure to inform your District/Council not to use Nations Trails anymore.

Anyway.. I started looking into what it would take to just reproduce the medals. I thought the program was a sound one and I feel that our youth have way too little exposure to the great things about our country and its history.

As I investigated a medal manufacturer, I started to sketch out what I would like to have done as a boy, what I want my Cub Scouts to do, and what would be a program that could be used in Scouting, schools, etc. This was the birth of the program. It has really grown from my original idea but I have produced requirements that I am proud of and believe a youth should have pride in completing.

Since that time, I have fleshed out the Youth Patriotism Awards and decided to take a chance and push the program. I have ordered the Heritage medals and await their delivery (Sept 9th). After inspecting their quality, I will be ordering the other three medals and should have the program in full swing.

I hope that everyone that was thinking about the US Heritage award will visit my site and look at the program I have set up. I pledge to keep this particular program healthy and true to upholding the values that we all learned thru scouting and as Americans.

Yours in Scouting,
Brian Kale
Leesburg, VA

http://www.youthpatriotism.org
bkale
Scout

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:25 am

Brian, is your medal recognized by BSA? Comparing the two programs, yours is IMHO far superior, but I know my boys' first question.
AquilaNegra2
Eagle

Postby bkale » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:51 am

My program is not "officially recognized" by the BSA. However, if I read the regs correctly, I consider these medals simlar to historic trail medals and should be treated as such (meaning that they can be worn as a trail medal would be - on the left pocket - no more than 5 at a time). I am currently talking to my district and several others as far as recognizing and having the program recommended.

Thanks for your question.

Is there anyone on the forumthat thinks I am interpretting it incorrectly??
bkale
Scout

Postby joat » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:35 pm

bkale wrote:Is there anyone on the forumthat thinks I am interpretting it incorrectly??
You didn’t mention the reg that you are interpreting.

The Historic Trails award is a leather or cloth patch that is “equipment decoration”, not for uniform wear. BSA does not have a Historic Trails medal, nor any “trails” medals. There is no authorization to wear third party awards or medals on the Scout uniform unless specifically provided for, such as the religious emblems.
joat
Life

Postby bkale » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:26 pm

Trail awards and the like have been around since at least the 60's. Some of the trail awards are patches (worn on the right pocket) or on equipment, hangers (from the right pocket button), or medals (worn on the left pocket flap near the seam).

The insignia guide states on page 3 that "The general rule is that badges awarded by oranizations other than the Boy Scouts of America may not be worn on an official uniform. This includes military medals and service ribbons. There are, however, notable exceptions. Amoung them are religious emblems and those special badges approved by local councils in conjunction with the Program Group Committee such as Historic Trails medals." <-- as the US Heritage Award was allowed on the uniform under the last part of the regulation, I am working under the assumption that a replacement program would be allowed as well. I am in the process of talking to councils and getting them to review the awards.

The insignia guide shows a Scouting issued medal and a religious medal (a non-scouting issued medal). The insignia guide states" Wearing medals and embroidered knots
Only five medals may be worn at a time pinned in a single row immediately above the seam of the left pocket. Knots are worn above the left pocket in rows of three. The order of wearing of medals and knots is at the discretion of the wearer. It is suggested that the medal or knot deemed most important by the wearer be worn on his or her own right. Embroidered knots are representative of pin-on medals or around-the-neck awards and are designed for the convenience of the wearer. In the case of the District Award of Merit and Professional Training Award, the knot is the only wearable insignia. The knots are listed here in alphabetical order." source http://www.scouting.org/media/insigniaguide/10K.aspx

The below is an excerpt from a highly respected and learned Scouter, Muke Watson (The Badge and Uniform Site).
"FIVE MEDALS can be five medals of YOUR OWN CHOOSING, considering that they are NOT military medals. Military award medals cannot be worn on the BSA uniform any more. ONE such medal used to be allowed (the BSA made that decision so that holders of the Antartica Service Medal, those Scouts that were chosen once a year to go to the South Pole with the National Science Foundation can wear the medal formally). The NSF created a square knot so that those few holders could be recognized informally, but the BSA determined that since the program was coming to an end (or so they thought), that they would not allow Scouts and Scouters to wear the military medal anymore. " source http://www.mninter.net/~blkeagle/medals.htm
bkale
Scout

Postby joat » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:42 pm

There are no US Heritage.com awards approved for uniform wear. It would seem doubtful. Are they being sold with that advice? Where did approval come from?

It could be that there are trails medals approved by the local council in conjunction with BSA. See also what the Insignia Guide says on page 5 about BSA identification, and approval by the national office.

With all due respect to Mike Walton, his personal web site should be taken with a grain of salt.

I think it’s a bit of a stretch to assume a youthpatriotism medal would be OK for uniform wear because there is a provision for a local council trail medal. But present your idea to your local council and see what happens.
joat
Life

Postby bkale » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:22 pm

The US Heritage medals have been incorporated and allowed for uniform wear in the NCAC for quite a while. In fact, they are presented at the Pow-Wows and University of Scouting as extra programs for the boys to earn uniform items (that is before the problems with Nations Trails).

Obviously I can not speak for every Council nor do I pretend to do so.
bkale
Scout

Postby joat » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:12 pm

At summer camp boys earn NRA marksman medals and are told they are "authorized" for wear on on the uniform. There is a ton of incorrect uniform advice out there.
joat
Life

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:32 am

Thanks for all the info, Brian. We'll be incorporating the requirements into our schoolwork for the year, and applying for the award once they've finished. Our troop awards vests when the Scouts earn Life rank, and they put their "extra" patches/awards there -- Mile Swim, Historic Trails, 50-miler, etc
AquilaNegra2
Eagle

Previous

Return to Awards and Recognitions