Scoutmaster's/Advisor's Key Award Change Recommendation

All non-advancement related awards and recognitions. (Anything except Ranks, Merit Badges, and Palms.)

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Scoutmaster's/Advisor's Key Award Change Recommendation

Postby ThunderingWind » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:27 pm

OK.....as promised a few months back....here is my first draft resolution to change a requirement for the Scoutmaster's/Advisor's Key. The purpose is to recognize those Assistant Scoutmasters and Associate Advisors who put in the time but never hold the official title of Scoutmaster or Advisor.

I would appreciate comments on the language, phrasing etc...I am not asking if you support the effort or are flat out against it...I am just looking for language assistance.

======================================================================================
WHEREAS the Boy Scouts of America has purposely created adult awards to recognize service to youth and the community; AND

WHEREAS many Scoutmasters and Crew Advisors serve in their positions over a long period; AND

WHEREAS many Assistant Scoutmasters and Associate Advisors also serve in their positions over a long period; AND

WHEREAS in many well run Troops, the performance of duties is shared among the Scoutmasters and Assistant Scoutmasters; AND

WHEREAS in many well run Crews, the performance of duties is shared among the Advisor and Associate Advisors; AND

WHEREAS the only difference in theses positions can be viewed as In Title;

THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED by the National Council, Boy Scouts of America that the Tenure requirements for the Scoutmaster’s Key be changed to allow service as an Assistant Scoutmaster to be credited towards earning the Key;

THEREFORE BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the Tenure requirements for the Venturing Advisor’s Key be changed to allow service as an Associate Advisor’s to be credited towards earning the Key;

THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that the Tenure requirements also allow service in both positions if it is found the adult has moved as long as tenure used for one award is not used another award in the same scouting program.

This Resolution will take effect immediately upon passage. The provisions shall be retro active for all leaders upon application to their local District Training Committee with valid documentation.
No Longer a Registered Scouter
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Re: Scoutmaster's/Advisor's Key Award Change Recommendation

Postby RMM » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:57 pm

I second the motion. Our troop would not be as good as it is without the strong work of the ASMs. They work as hard as I do and should have the same opportunities for the SM Knot that I have if they would wish to pursue it.
Robert M.
Woodbadge WE3-47-07
OA Brotherhood

I was reminded that there are 4 things you can not recover:
"The stone after the throw, the word after is's said, the occasion after the loss, the time after it's gone."
RMM
Star

Postby cballman » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:56 pm

I will give the third motion on this. The main reason is because I am a ASM and I dont think I am mature enough or old enough to be a Scoutmaster.
Charlie tha BEAR with issues
"if you aint a BEAR your snackfood"
cballman
Site Admin

Postby ThunderingWind » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:17 pm

Thank you for the support. How does the language read to you?

Remember, this means that you ASMs would have to led the Patrol leaders training, taken another Leader's course (dare I say Wood Badge), been registered when the Troop earned Quality Unit.

And the AAs would have to have led the VLSC, actually have conducted the officer's seminars, been a registered every year the Crew earned Quality Unit.

And all the Roundtables. For me, my District waived the Roudtable requirement when I earned the Venture Leader Training Award because they had no Venture "Round Table" or Forum. Tracking cards still say Round Table. One more year with a Troop and I will earn the Boy Scout Leaders knot (same knot a the Venture Leader Training award, just a different device).
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby Bill Pitcher » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:23 am

Got my vote, too. I've been an ASM for years and too busy with Council activities to want to take on the SM's job. My son's have been away from Scouting for 10+ yrs, now so I felt that guys with sons in the troop should be the SM. However that said, I've done everything in the troop that would qualify me for the SM's awards!
And, the language sounds/looks good to me, TW!
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Postby jr56 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:56 pm

Sounds like a good idea to me.
jr56
Bronze Palm

Postby WeeWillie » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:50 am

We should recognize ASMs and CMs, but not with the SM Key. They should have their own award that recognizes their role in the Scouting. The SM's role is unique. When things are going good it is a "team effort" when things aren't going so great it is the SMs fault. Been there more than once.
Mike Wilson
MBC, Cochise District, Catalina Council, Sierra Vista, AZ
WeeWillie
Eagle

Postby ThunderingWind » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:00 am

WeeWillie wrote:We should recognize ASMs and CMs, but not with the SM Key. They should have their own award that recognizes their role in the Scouting. The SM's role is unique. When things are going good it is a "team effort" when things aren't going so great it is the SMs fault. Been there more than once.

I will have to agree to disagree with you on this. If a Troop is having problems, every adult serving the unit needs to be looked at to find the problem. For example, if it is the SM, then also the COR and CC are at fault for not keeping the SM within the boundaries. Same for a Crew.

My purpose is not to create another award. I think the SM/Advisor's Key can be appropriately expanded to accomplish the same. This saves the cost of manufacturing new medals and knots. The only changes are to a website and the next batch of tracking card that get printed. The electronic version of the tracking (PDF files on may web-sites) will get updated in due time.

Personally, I think some of the Cub Leader Awards should be expand to the Troop and Crew level. The Cub Scouter Award can easily be updated to cover the Troop or Crew. I have added the conversion for Troop/Crew in bold below as an example.

Tenure:
Complete 2 years as a registered adult leader in a Troop/Crew.
(Dates of service used to earn this award cannot be used to earn another key or award.) No change here, just emphasizing that one can not earn the Troop/Crew Scouter award using the same dates as the Leaders Training Award. So one would need to put in more time.

Training:
Complete Fast Start training, if available for your position.
Complete basic training for any Troop/Crew position.
Complete Youth Protection Training.
During each year of tenure for this award, participate in a Boy Scout/Crew leader pow wow or University of Scouting, or attend at least four roundtables.

Performance
Do five of the following:

Assist in planning a Troop program that results in advancement in rank by a minimum of 50 percent of Troop members each year.
or Some event for the Crew that gets 50 percent of the Crew a completed requirement for at least a Bronze award
Serve as an adult leader related to a Troop/Crew that earns the National Quality Unit Award.
Serve as leader of a COH, Open House, Family Night, field day, picnic, or other Troop/Crew activity.
Give leadership to a promotional effort that results in at least 60 percent of Troop/Crew members subscribing to Boys' Life magazine.
Develop or update a Tiger Cub or Cub Scout den activity book listing places to go, things to do, costs, distances, etc., locally for the five Tiger Cub areas or at least 12 Cub Scout themes.
Give leadership to planning and conducting a Troop/Crew service project.
Organize participation of a pack in the Cub Scout Academics and Sports program. Still working on a valid Troop/Crew option for this one
Help with two annual unit Friends of Scouting campaigns.
Serve as a leader for members of your pack attending a Cub Scout day camp or resident camp. Still working on a valid Troop/Crew option for this one
Serve one year as a Unit trainer during which 75 percent of registered pack and den leaders complete basic training for their positions. Still working on a valid Troop/Crew option for this one
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby kwildman » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:55 am

I am on the fence on this one and can see both sides. As an ASM I really am not concerned with earning a SM key award. I could be SM if i wanted but i like doing ASM and it gives me more flexibility to be more involved at district.
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby ThunderingWind » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:07 pm

kwildman wrote:I am on the fence on this one and can see both sides.

I actually understand. I just ahppen to come from a school of thought that says give the adults/volunteers every regocnition they deserve. They may not be looking for it but it goes a long way towards building a great program overall. It can also get parents involved when they see other leaders being recognized for their service and then the parents realize they can give somethign back for all that has been given for their son or daughter (Crew).
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby troop2dad » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:44 pm

As someone who has served as ASM, Charter Rep, Tiger Leader, Den Leader, Cubmaster, Now Scoutmaster and just starting a crew as Advisor I would offer the scoutmaster award takes a team to run a great unit. If we are running a scout led troop / crew it becomes a team effort to provide the mentoring and leadership we need to do. Certainly there are different needs for a small troop versus a large troop. During my time as SM we sent from being almost totally adult led to now being almost all boy led with a troop of 20. I know if we were much larger we would need more high quality ASM which would be working just as hard as I do. With all that said I would encourage them to earn the award. My belief is when the team works together all should benefit in the rewards.
troop2dad
Second Class

Postby troop2dad » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:47 pm

BTW, love the language in the original post.
troop2dad
Second Class

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:08 pm

WeeWillie wrote:We should recognize ASMs and CMs, but not with the SM Key. They should have their own award that recognizes their role in the Scouting. The SM's role is unique. When things are going good it is a "team effort" when things aren't going so great it is the SMs fault. Been there more than once.

I'd have to agree with you here. One SM, many ASMs. To group them together sends the message that they are the same - they're not. Both valuable, both important, but different functions.
AquilaNegra2
Eagle

Postby ThunderingWind » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:46 am

AquilaNegra2 wrote:I'd have to agree with you here. One SM, many ASMs. To group them together sends the message that they are the same - they're not. Both valuable, both important, but different functions.
So if i am understanding your post correctly, you would rather see a Assistant Scoutmaster's Key or an Associate Advisor's Key.

What additions to the SM/Advisors Key requirements would you add so that it would be for the ASMs and Associate Advisors.

**Note for those that a active with a Team. I have no experience with a Team and there are nor Teams in my area. This is not meant to leave those adult volunteers out.
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby WeeWillie » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:40 am

Here are two leadership principles that I am sure many of you will recognize:

1. A leader is responsible what his/her organization accomplishes or fails to accomplish.

2. A leader can delegate authority, but not responsibility.

Sample Troop Organization Charts show the SM as the senior leader and ASMs as subordinate leaders. By definition, they don't have the same responsibility. Several ASMs have indicated they do not want the responsibilities of being SMs. I did not want to be a SM, but nobody else was willing to step up to the plate. I've been SM for 7 years. For the last two years I have offered to step down so someone else could have the opportunity, If the responsibilities are the same, why does it matter if you are the SM or an ASM? The reason is that they are not the same. That is why we need to have separate awards.

Suggested criteria:

While an ASM, plan an organize three troop camping trips or one summer camp.

While an ASM mentor one Scout with his Eagle Project.

While an ASM assist one new Scout Patrol. Assist at least 50% of the new Scouts achieve 1st Class in one year.
Mike Wilson
WeeWillie
Eagle

Postby ThunderingWind » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:33 am

WeeWillie wrote:.....EDITED.....That is why we need to have separate awards.

Suggested criteria:

While an ASM, plan an organize three troop camping trips or one summer camp.
While an ASM mentor one Scout with his Eagle Project.
While an ASM assist one new Scout Patrol. Assist at least 50% of the new Scouts achieve 1st Class in one year.

All very good options. Thsi is one reason I posted here before I sent it off to The Republic of Texas.

WeeWillie and others stating a separate award should be used...Would you be opposed to creating the different criteria as has been suggested, but still using the same knot, medal and certificate to keep costs down? It is easy enough to modify the MS Word Template used to print names on them to put the phrase "Assistant Scoutmaster" or "Associate Advisor" on it.
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby WeeWillie » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:13 pm

Thunderwind

Thank you for taking on this issue. Adult leader recognition is important. Don't view my comments as opposition but rather points to ponder. With that in mind, why create separate criteria for the same award? Keep the same award / knot but vary the color to denote, SM, ASM... Use Red, Green, Grey, Orange... Definitely not Gold, Silver, Bronze since it implies 1st, 2nd, 3rd.
Mike Wilson
WeeWillie
Eagle

Postby ThunderingWind » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:04 am

WeeWillie wrote:Thank you for taking on this issue. Adult leader recognition is important. Don't view my comments as opposition but rather points to ponder. With that in mind, why create separate criteria for the same award? Keep the same award / knot but vary the color to denote, SM, ASM... Use Red, Green, Grey, Orange... Definitely not Gold, Silver, Bronze since it implies 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

I am not viewing it as opposition really. I guess a better word would different point of view.

But one thing I am trying to accomplish is not cause more money to be spent by National in production. Ultimately, it may need to be done that way.
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby Bill Pitcher » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:12 am

Is there a site or book that lists all of the adult recoginition awards? Thanks!
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:15 am

NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Return to Awards and Recognitions