Translation Strip?

All non-advancement related awards and recognitions. (Anything except Ranks, Merit Badges, and Palms.)

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Re: Translation Strip?

Postby Quailman » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:57 pm

Reasonable Rascal wrote:
ronin718 wrote:
smtroop168 wrote:There is no requirement to learn scouting terms (except maybe Latrine in French :) ).

Wouldn't that be "wee wee"? :lol:

Ummm, I believe "Oui oui" would be the correct pronunciation. :lol: :lol: :lol:

RR

Actually, "wee wee" is the correct pronunciation. "Oui oui" is the correct spelling. :P
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby tonkatim » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:08 pm

Here in lies the problem- "Ôu est la salle de bains?" is the generic French term for where is the bathroom.

The Scouting version should be Ou est la shaque de bains. or sometimes Ou est la pit de bains.
tonkatim
Star

Postby Reasonable Rascal » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:29 pm

Actually, "wee wee" is the correct pronunciation. "Oui oui" is the correct spelling. :P

Alas, poor Satire, we knew thee well. :cry:

RR
Boys can save lives when Scouting first saves them.
Reasonable Rascal
Star

Postby ThunderingWind » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:19 pm

tonkatim wrote:Here in lies the problem- "Ôu est la salle de bains?" is the generic French term for where is the bathroom.

The Scouting version should be Ou est la shaque de bains. or sometimes Ou est la pit de bains.

Ce n'est pas correct.
No Longer a Registered Scouter
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:19 am

smtroop168 wrote:
Tessla wrote:How is this badge earned? Who verifies it?

My son is learning German and would like to earn the strip. He's also learning Latin (I'm not sure if that is an option). Can more than 1 strip be worn if a scout is fluent in multiple languages?

The requirements are listed in the Boy Scout Requirements book. My experience is that the strip is earned upon the scout presenting a statement from his language teacher that he's completed the requirements.
Latin is not an option. Neither is Pig Latin. :)
More than 1 strip can be worn if earned.
See RW's post above for more info and welcome to the forum.

While Latin is not generally a spoken language, it is the basis for a number of languages, including English. So a Scout from, say, France who was looking for an interpreter and could not find "French" might be able to make himself understood to the "Latin" scholar.

It's my understanding that interpreter strips can be earned for ANY legitimate (I think that excludes Klingon) language, Latin included.
AquilaNegra2
Eagle

Postby Reasonable Rascal » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:35 am

I've been talking with a co-worker about his son transferring over to our troop now that he is 11, and his Cub Pack has stopped meeting because the Cubmaster is just to busy trying to make a living. The co-worker is an ethnic Slav (Russian and I believe Armenian, a former Soviet Army Lieutenant and holds a degree in nuclear physics (he's now an RN). I asked him the other night if his son speaks a 2nd language, and he does, fairly fluent Armenian. Can you say Bingo! Instant translator strip? There is another nurse who works OB who is an ethnic Armenian who would be qualified to pass him so that there is no conflict of interest with having dad say he passed the requirements.

On the other hand I have a Filipino Scout in the troop as well. Lots of Tagalog-speaking co-workers who could qualify him.

RR
Reasonable Rascal
Star

Postby smtroop168 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:34 pm

you can probably meet the requirement for any number of languages but you'll not get the patch since its unlikely the BSA will make them
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby RWSmith » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:36 am

smtroop168 wrote:you can probably meet the requirement for any number of languages but you'll not get the patch since its unlikely the BSA will make them

Actually, they will.

Even if it's not a stocked item, BSA will run one-offs of a "rare" language for you; and yes, it will come in the native script... just as long as it's a "native/spoken" language somewhere.
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby scoutaholic » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:49 am

RWSmith wrote:
smtroop168 wrote:you can probably meet the requirement for any number of languages but you'll not get the patch since its unlikely the BSA will make them

Actually, they will.

Even if it's not a stocked item, BSA will run one-offs of a "rare" language for you; and yes, it will come in the native script... just as long as it's a "native/spoken" language somewhere.

For those languages that they don't stock, (and you can't find from a 3rd party vendor), they used to also sell a blank so that you could fill in your own language. With a crafty person or a fancy sewing machine, you could have any language you can imagine without having to custom order any minimum quantities.

In the case of Latin, it might be easiest to get the 'Pig Latin' strip from a 3rd party vendor and pick out the first 3 letters.

Do our BSA friends in Puerto Rico have to special order the English strip? I don't see it listed on the supply division website. (Actually I know a 3rd party vendor that sells this one for $0.50.)
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - Troop/Team/Crew Advancement Chair & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, COR, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Postby Reasonable Rascal » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:07 am

Granted it has been many a year but at one time they did make a Tagalog strip. They went to far as to use it as an illustration in at least one instance (70's handbook???).

RR
Reasonable Rascal
Star

Postby smtroop168 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:14 pm

Your right! My GTA translation strip just arrived in the mail and I'm gonna wear it to RT tonight! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Previous

Return to Awards and Recognitions