National Outdoor Aquatics badge requirements

All non-advancement related awards and recognitions. (Anything except Ranks, Merit Badges, and Palms.)

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

National Outdoor Aquatics badge requirements

Postby topshot » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:51 pm

FYI, the USScouts.org page is outdated as they have added Kayaking to the list of MB.

My question is why they don't count activities like earning the Boardsailing or Snorkeling emblems or earning the Scuba MB (which is more time in water than Lifesaving) as being Aquatics? Are those simply to be considered "swimming" under item 5?
topshot
First Class

Re: National Outdoor Aquatics badge requirements

Postby topshot » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:50 pm

Bueller? Didn't think this was that hard of a question, but maybe everyone's so caught up in the proposed policy change.
topshot
First Class

Postby FrankJ » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:11 pm

Which they are you talking about? They don't talk to me. I could make something up though. :)

It seems just merit badges are specifically required so that would be why emblems are not listed. Not listing the SCUBA merit badge would seem to be an oversight.

Your question would be better directed at the BSA advancement committee.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby topshot » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:04 pm

I assumed we had people on the committee here. Hopefully the advancement.team@scouting.org address I found is valid.
topshot
First Class

Postby wagionvigil » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:20 pm

topshot wrote:I assumed we had people on the committee here. Hopefully the advancement.team@scouting.org address I found is valid.

You assume correctly but sometimes we have other things to do. I am sure that is the case for the person who is actually on the Advancement team. I am sure he will reply when he can.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby smtroop168 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:30 am

wagionvigil wrote:
topshot wrote:I assumed we had people on the committee here. Hopefully the advancement.team@scouting.org address I found is valid.

You assume correctly but sometimes we have other things to do. I am sure that is the case for the person who is actually on the Advancement team. I am sure he will reply when he can.

Me? Busy? Nah.

Actually this program is not under Advancement. You can send your inquiry to program.content@scouting.org.

My guess is that since all the segments have MBs as requirements, they put in the Aquatics MBs only.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby topshot » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:47 am

smtroop168 wrote:Actually this program is not under Advancement. You can send your inquiry to program.content@scouting.org.

My guess is that since all the segments have MBs as requirements, they put in the Aquatics MBs only.

Thanks for that address. USScouts had it under advancement so that's where I took it. I'd also argue Scuba should be an aquatics badge. I just want to verify all those hours CAN be counted since it'd be ludicrous if they couldn't.
topshot
First Class

Postby topshot » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:42 am

From a Susan Fitzhugh:
Yes, scuba has been added since this application was published and is one of the merit badges accepted.

Yes, the hours needed to earn Boardsailing and Snorkeling do count at swimming.

They must have forgotten it since Kayaking was added a couple years after Scuba.
topshot
First Class

Return to Awards and Recognitions