Since its now January, the new 2013 BOY SCOUT REQUIREMENTS book should be available soon. I have an advance (PDF) copy; and, last night, I started the process of reviewing the booklet, updating the requirements on the usscouts.org site, and preparing my annual list of all changes. I will update the worksheets once the web pages showing the requirements and changes have been completed.
I haven't looked through the book completely yet to see what actually changed, but here is the list from the inside front cover of the booklet identifying the ranks and merit badges that apparently have revisions this year:
- Rank requirement changes
- Second Class — requirements 3e, 3f, and 3g.
- First Class — requirement 4a.
- Star — requirement 5.
- Life — requirement 5.
- Eagle — requirements 4 and 7.
- Eagle Scout rank alternative requirements
- Astronomy (3b, 9)
- Automotive Maintenance (1, 8d)
- Bird Study (7b)
- Chess (3)
- Citizenship in the Community (3a)
- Communication (1a, 1b)
- Composite Materials (1)
- Dog Care (10)
- Emergency Preparedness (2b)
- Fire Safety (7c)
- Fishing (1)
- Gardening (1, 3, 6)
- Hiking (5, 6)
- Home Repairs (1, 6b)
- Law (11)
- Oceanography (8b)
- Orienteering (6c)
- Photography (3)
- Safety (6, 7)
- Wilderness Survival (1)
- Wood Carving (1)
- Search and Rescue
Minor merit badge requirement updates
New merit badges
- NOTE: The new merit badges were, of course, released during 2012, but are listed since they weren't in the 2012 edition of the booklet.
Eagle-required merit badge changes
- As of now, the forthcoming changes to Cooking MB (Changes in 2013; Eagle-required on Jan. 1, 2014)*, and the new Sustainability MB* do not appear in the booklet yet, but there are notes concerning them and the future changes to the Eagle requirements in regard to those badges.
(*) NOTE: Threads have already been created regarding these two MBs. Please use the links above to discuss them there.