2013 Boy Scout Requirements & Advancement Changes

This is to be used when something does not fit in any of the Other Forums

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Postby PaulSWolf » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:34 am

Since its now January, the new 2013 BOY SCOUT REQUIREMENTS book should be available soon. I have an advance (PDF) copy; and, last night, I started the process of reviewing the booklet, updating the requirements on the usscouts.org site, and preparing my annual list of all changes. I will update the worksheets once the web pages showing the requirements and changes have been completed.

I haven't looked through the book completely yet to see what actually changed, but here is the list from the inside front cover of the booklet identifying the ranks and merit badges that apparently have revisions this year:

Rank requirement changes
    • Second Class — requirements 3e, 3f, and 3g.
    • First Class — requirement 4a.
    • Star — requirement 5.
    • Life — requirement 5.
    • Eagle — requirements 4 and 7.

And,
    • Eagle Scout rank alternative requirements

Minor merit badge requirement updates
    • Astronomy (3b, 9)
    • Automotive Maintenance (1, 8d)
    • Bird Study (7b)
    • Chess (3)
    • Citizenship in the Community (3a)
    • Communication (1a, 1b)
    • Composite Materials (1)
    • Dog Care (10)
    • Emergency Preparedness (2b)
    • Fire Safety (7c)
    • Fishing (1)
    • Gardening (1, 3, 6)
    • Hiking (5, 6)
    • Home Repairs (1, 6b)
    • Law (11)
    • Oceanography (8b)
    • Orienteering (6c)
    • Photography (3)
    • Safety (6, 7)
    • Wilderness Survival (1)
    • Wood Carving (1)

New merit badges
    • Kayaking
    • Search and Rescue

NOTE: The new merit badges were, of course, released during 2012, but are listed since they weren't in the 2012 edition of the booklet.

Eagle-required merit badge changes
      As of now, the forthcoming changes to Cooking MB (Changes in 2013; Eagle-required on Jan. 1, 2014)*, and the new Sustainability MB* do not appear in the booklet yet, but there are notes concerning them and the future changes to the Eagle requirements in regard to those badges.

(*) NOTE: Threads have already been created regarding these two MBs. Please use the links above to discuss them there.
Last edited by RWSmith on Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Upgraded status to "Announcement" & added BBCode formatting.
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Re: 2013 Boy Scout Requirements & Advancement Changes

Postby smtroop168 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:48 pm

Book is on the shelves now
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby PaulSWolf » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:28 pm

The changes have now all been incorporated into the USSSP site, and will be posted on meritbadge.org as soon as the wiki can be updated. The worksheets on USScouts.org now reflect the current requirements (but the old ones are still available as well for those who already started work). I'll upload the revised worksheets to meritbadge.org when I'm told the wiki has been updated.

My annual summary is now available at these URLs:
http://usscouts.org/advance/changes/advchanges13.asp and
http://usscouts.org/advance/docs/Advanc ... es2013.pdf

New merit badge pamphlets for Photography, Public Speaking, and Astronomy should be in the Scout Shops in the next week or two. The pamphlets for Photography and Astronomy will include the requirements changes that are in the 2013 Boy Scout Requirements Book. (There are no requirements changes for Public Speaking - just new content).

Next up - in early March - will be the new Game Design merit badge.

There will also be a few more revised merit badge pamphlets in coming months, most with revisions to both content and requirements.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Postby optimist » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:34 pm

Advancement revisions for 2013 for rank and merit badge pages on MeritBadge.org have been completed. Note that there may be other pages around the web site which may relate to these pages which also need to be updated. (I've updated some already.)
optimist
Adv Chair

Postby scoutaholic » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:24 pm

PaulSWolf wrote:...
My annual summary is now available at these URLs:
http://usscouts.org/advance/changes/advchanges13.asp and
http://usscouts.org/advance/docs/Advanc ... es2013.pdf

Paul - the .asp link has not been working for about 3 days.
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Woodbadge Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - COR & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer 5-years-running, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Postby Quailman » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:09 pm

It's working now, at least for me.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby PaulSWolf » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:50 pm

ADDITIONAL MERIT BADGE REQUIREMENTS CHANGES

BSA has issued a number of new merit badge pamphlets since the list in the 2013 Boy Scout Requirements booklet was released. That list indicated THAT new pamphlets were to be issued for Astronomy, Gardening, Photography, and Public Speaking, and the booklet contained updated requirements for each of those except Public Speaking. Many of the new pamphlets include minor changes to the requirements.

There were, of course, new pamphlets for the three new merit badges released during 2013: Game Design, Programming, & Sustainability, and one for Cycling, which had a major revision (Mountain Biking option) released at the Jamboree.

In addition, new pamphlets are available for these merit badges: Archery, Art, Cycling, Fishing, Horsemanship, Leatherwork, Personal Fitness, Pioneering, Pulp & Paper, Rifle Shooting, Safety, Shotgun Shooting, & Weather.

These merit badges have revised requirements that were NOT shown in the 2013 Boy Scout Requirements booklet: Archery, Art, Horsemanship, Leatherwork, Personal Fitness, Pets, Pioneering, Pulp & Paper, Shotgun Shooting, & Weather, plus Cycling as I already mentioned.

Safety had a minor wording change between the time that the 2013 Boy Scout Requirements booklet was published and the publication of the new Safety pamphlet (to reflect a change in terminology used by Homeland Security).

Also Sustainability had a change to one requirement to accommodate Scouts whose families do not have water bills to examine, and Scouting Heritage had a change to one requirement, to allow visits to local Scouting museums, exhibits, or Scouting historians. Both of these were announced by BSA recently, and are shown on Scouting.org.

Finally, BSA recently announced that they have changed the name of Cinematography merit badge to Moviemaking, and have made some changes to the requirements along with the change in name.

UPDATE: The requirements pages and workbooks/worksheets on both the meritbadge.org and usscouts.org sites have all been updated to incorporate all of the changes listed above.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Return to General Advancement Information