"Under the auspices of the BSA"

All non-advancement related awards and recognitions. (Anything except Ranks, Merit Badges, and Palms.)

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

"Under the auspices of the BSA"

Postby cdwscout » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:55 am

While reading the requirements for the national outdoor badges, I came across the phrase "under the auspices of the Boy Scout of America." What does this mean?
Yours in scOUTING,
Cdwscout
cdwscout
Star

Re: "Under the auspices of the BSA"

Postby kwildman » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:33 am

typically that means that it has to be done at a boy scout camp or as part of an activity or event organized and run by the BSA. There is similar language in the OA requirements for long term camping.
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:05 pm

It means they set the rules and requirements.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby cdwscout » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:29 pm

If I followed BSA rules, could it be considered for the requirement, or does it have to be an "official" patrol/unit/district/council/region/national/international event?
Yours in scOUTING,
Cdwscout
cdwscout
Star

Postby WeeWillie » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:06 pm

What is the activity and who is sponsoring the event?
Mike Wilson
MBC, Cochise District, Catalina Council, Sierra Vista, AZ
WeeWillie
Eagle

Postby cdwscout » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:41 pm

WeeWillie - I was simply thinking hypothetically, but for hypothetical purposes how about: a backpacking trip among a group of friends/dads, not open to the whole troop, where they still followed BSA rules?
Yours in scOUTING,
Cdwscout
cdwscout
Star

Postby PaulSWolf » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:13 pm

cdwscout wrote:WeeWillie - I was simply thinking hypothetically, but for hypothetical purposes how about: a backpacking trip among a group of friends/dads, not open to the whole troop, where they still followed BSA rules?
No. It must be an official Scout function. So that example, or a family campout would not qualify.
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Postby King Ding Dong » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:06 pm

I am really trying to wrap my head around the NOB. Some of the requirements seem mathematically impossible to achieve in a troop setting. There are just not any troops in my area that camp 14.29 short term nights each year over a 7 year period. Or cycle 300 miles. Or scouts willing to swim for 100 hours. My troop won't even canoe outside council property because of fear of all the "drunk" college kids out on the water.

If a registered leader offers to lead a 20 mile bike trek open to anyone in a patrol (therefor a patrol activity and 2 deep not required) and no one but his son chooses to attend. Does that count ? It seems odd that it wouldn't given that the distance rides for the cycling MB can be solo and do not require adult leadership only a written report. And those miles are included in the riding NOB.

If all the other miles must be done in a group it seems to make sense that a boy could then complete them as practice for his cycling MB and then have his counselor sign the blue card.

"Under the auspices of the BSA" seem to make this award a group award and not an individual award.

I am really trying to figure out how a scout can get the medal mathematically.
King Ding Dong
Tenderfoot

Postby Quailman » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:52 pm

He needs to earn the camping award wth a silver device. There are 25 required for the camping segment. Then "A gold device may be earned for each additional 25 nights of camping. A silver device is earned for each additional 100 nights of camping.". Are those cumulative? Is silver 25 + 25 + 100, or 25 + 100? I'm thinking three gold devices at 100 nights and a silver at 125. That looks more like 18 nights per year.

Where do you get that they must be short-term nights. The first 25 must include a resident camp of at least six nights. After that it is silent as to long-term or short-term. I don't see why LT camping (summer camp, Philmont treks, winter camp) can't count.

Six years of summer camp and a Philmont trek makes the ST nights average about 11 per year, or six weekends. I thought that a healthy outdoor program called for an outdoor outing each month. Even skipping summer camp month and December, you'd have 20 possible nights each year.

That's a lot of nights no matter how you slice it. This award clearly is not a gimme. I've only met one scout who had earned the medal.

BTW, in my council a scout could camp five more nights at winter camp between Christmas and NYD (and earn five more MBs).
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby Mrw » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:38 am

We recently presented the silver NOB device for camping to one of our older scouts.

We have a few that would have the gold or maybe even silver for backpacking/hiking if they would only so much as document it for us. We figure they need to get the ball rolling to earn these things rather than have us just document everything for them.
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby King Ding Dong » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:32 am

I think your reading of the addition camping is correct. That certainly makes the camping nights more achievable and yes I also agree the total is 125. I was interpreting the 25 additional night blocks as under the same requirements as the 1st 25.

I realize this requirements are for the medal are very substantial and a lot of work, as well as an exercise in excellent record keeping. My son is much more motivated when he has a goal to achieve. He says he wants to earn the medal but probably does not fully grasp the extent of the involvement required. I just want to make sure he has the opportunity if he sustains interest.

His current pack is a bit light on activities and does not do winter camping except once in a cabin and seems a bit more focused on Eagle by 14 than adventure. The other boys in the troop focus a lot more effort on sports. Though that is what I have found with the other troops in the area so far as well. I will continue searching. The council does not have a winter camp, but there are opportunities for a second week in a provisional troop in the summer.
King Ding Dong
Tenderfoot

Postby topshot » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:33 pm

One of the top Eagles in our Council couldn't earn the medal and I would say that is solely because our troop didn't participate in enough of the activities needed. We camp a lot, but don't hike or bike/ride. He did get 4 of the 5 badges but not enough devices. If your troop won't support such activities, I see the only option as tagging along with another troop.
topshot
First Class

Return to Awards and Recognitions