First Class-First Year

This is to be used when something does not fit in any of the Other Forums

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

First Class-First Year

Postby milominderbinder2 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:10 pm

This is the discussion for the First Class-First Year page on meritbadge.org.

This page quotes past and current Boy Scout Handbooks as well as the BSA Advancement Policies #33088 © 1989, 2007 Printing.

Note that while the expected time to earn First Class has increased from 3 to 12 months since the 1960's, the requirements have also been expanded.

Please also note needed corrections here.

- Craig
milominderbinder2
Eagle

Re: First Class-First Year

Postby FrankJ » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:54 pm

There was a time in rank requirement in the 60s as I recall. You had to be 2nd class for 3 months before you could earn 1st class. I do not know if there was any expectation on how long it would take to earn 1st class from joining. It certainly was not 3 Mo.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby FrankJ » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:59 pm

Or maybe not. I was a scout in the seventies.

The edit button is gone.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby milominderbinder2 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:41 pm

FrankJ wrote:There was a time in rank requirement in the 60s as I recall. You had to be 2nd class for 3 months before you could earn 1st class. I do not know if there was any expectation on how long it would take to earn 1st class from joining. It certainly was not 3 Mo.

First my Edit buttons are only there about half the time on this forum so I have the same problem.

Until 1972 time in rank was:
Tenderfoot - 0 months
Second Class - 1 month
First Class - 2 months
Star - 3 months
Life - 3 months
Eagle - 6 months

So until the 1972 change, the earliest possible moment to make First Class was 3 months.

"That's why you should strive to become a First Class Scout at the earliest possible moment."

Beginning with the 1972 Boy Scout Handbook, the minimum tenure through First Class was extended to 8 months (p.87-89).

Then in 1998, they lengthened the expectation to 12 months with the First Class-First Year program. That is where we are today: "Though you can advance at your own pace, active Scouts will usually earn First Class within a year of joining a troop." (p. 14).

Also note that until 1972, a Scout could theoretically earn Eagle in 13 months. Today it is Tenderfoot 1+ Star 4+ Life 6+ Eagle 6 = 15 months.

The minimum time to Eagle is longer now than prior to 1972. And back then you did not have to deal with a district committee to get your project approved. No Eagle Project masters thesis was requried.

- Craig
milominderbinder2
Eagle

Postby smtroop168 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:22 pm

Craig....I don't have all the BSA Handbooks you have. When did the Eagle Project start requiring District Approval? Thanks. Matt
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby milominderbinder2 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:35 am

smtroop168 wrote:Craig....I don't have all the BSA Handbooks you have. When did the Eagle Project start requiring District Approval? Thanks. Matt
Matt,

I am having to do some digging to find all of my books. Too many boxes. So far I have narrowed District Approval down to after 1976 and before 1990.

In 1972 the advancement policy was changed to dictate that the project write-up was to be reviewed at the Eagle Board. That was a big change.

- Craig
milominderbinder2
Eagle

Postby smtroop168 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:57 am

Craig....No hurry. Just curious. The old-timers (I think I am one!) always will tell you that they didn't have to go to such great lengths for their service project. Some like it and some think it's overkill. There is info on the history of the Eagle required badges but I've never seen the Project History. Matt
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby milominderbinder2 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:14 am

Doing more reading...

Prior to 1972, I cannot find references to an Eagle Project write-up or approval.

The 1972 Advancement Policies states on page 51:

"A written report of the [Eagle Service] project must be approved by the Scoutmaster and the troop committee and attached to the Eagle award application. This is forwarded to the council office for approval. The advancement committee should inform Scoutmasters as to council standards for service projects so that it will not be necessary to turn down an Eagle applicant."

So in 1972 the project had to be approved by the council but AFTER the project was completed. Ouch.

- Craig
milominderbinder2
Eagle

Postby smtroop168 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:59 pm

Check 1973 if there's a reference, since I'm guessing after a few Eagle Scout application rejections by the councils, BSA probably decided to get them approved prior to starting. My guess is that the Council standards were all over the map as well.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby milominderbinder2 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:33 pm

smtroop168 wrote:Check 1973 if there's a reference, since I'm guessing after a few Eagle Scout application rejections by the councils, BSA probably decided to get them approved prior to starting. My guess is that the Council standards were all over the map as well.

I don't have a 1973 book...

This did cause a firestorm. I earned my Eagle in 1973 in the midst of it. An Eagle before me ended having to do his project over. So I knew to meet with a person from the District Advancement Committee to get an unofficial prior approval. It was a strange time because for 16 months the old Scouting and the new overlapped.

I do have a Detroit Council book from 1974 that clarifies for their council what they expect.

- Craig
milominderbinder2
Eagle

Postby milominderbinder2 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:38 pm

The Edit button is missing again or I would just edit my last post to add this...

I added references to old and current Advancement policies to the First Class-First year page.

In particular, note that BSA stated through the 1960's that the average age to earn Eagle was 14.

Today the goal for the average Scout works out to age 15. Too often today it actually is at 17 year, 11 months, 29 days...

- Craig
milominderbinder2
Eagle

Postby smtroop168 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:44 pm

Craig...any more luck pinning down the date?
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby milominderbinder2 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:13 am

I finally had time to flesh out the First Class-First Year with a number of added references to previous Scout Handbooks and Boy Scout Requirements books.

One interesting fact is the period of 7 years when Scoutcraft work for Second Class could only be done as a Tenderfoot. During this same period, Scoutcraft work for First Class could only be done as a Second Class Scout.

- Craig[/quote]
milominderbinder2
Eagle

Postby wjturner » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:18 am

There appears to be an error in when the tenure requirements were removed for the TF, 2C, and 1C ranks. That occurred in 1989 when the 10th ed of the BSHB came out. I remember because we instituted a new first year camper program at our camp in 1990 to follow the national goal of first class in a year, which I always thought was funny because it seemed easier to me to get first class in a year under the previous requirements that included tenure. By 1994 I had graduated from college and was no longer able to spend my summers on staff.
wjturner
Second Class

Postby turkeyhunter_1 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:44 am

Whatever the requirements, I think that the Scout that make FC in their first year stay in sScouts more than those that do not.
“In the end
we will conserve only what we love,
we will love only what we understand,
and we will understand only what we are taught.”
-John L. Morris
turkeyhunter_1
Tenderfoot

Return to General Advancement Information