[POLICY] Personally Indentifiable Information Prohibited....

Read this first; it's a good place to start.

Moderator: Site Admin

[POLICY] Personally Indentifiable Information Prohibited....

Postby RWSmith » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:03 am

This POLICY concerns any posting (including signature files) on this message board which contains any personally identifiable information of any person under the age of 18.

The Internet is a very dangerous tool... no different than a gun. If used improperly, your keyboard can be just as deadly as a bullet. We do not want to see your personal information on this website. Using your first name, while not prohibited, is not necessary; it is discouraged--a handle is much safer. Although I can't track you down based on your first name and Troop number alone, one or more added pieces of personal information, such as your last name, location, etc., makes you instantly traceable!

If I can find out your parent's names, your sister's name, a close relative's obituary (which contains a wealth of information!), where you go to church and/or school, the fact that you took first place in the Butterfly at last year's swim meet, then I can surely find YOU! I know what I’m talking about. In my former life, I did a bit of skip-tracing and bounty hunting. Most people think tracking somebody down and then telling him a convincing story in order to get him to let his guard down is harder than cuffing and stuffing them into the back seat of the car. Well, I'm here to tell you, they're both easy.

And if I can find you, then a serial killer, armed with personal knowledge about you, can find you and easily trick you into being his next victim. According to an FBI Behavioral Unit study, serial killing has climbed to an almost 'epidemic proportion'. At any given time there are an estimated 20-50 active serial killers. I would propose the increase is simply proportional to increased opportunity. That is to say, more children are posting personal information on the Internet while, at the same time, providing every serial killer in the entire world an opportunity to harvest such information. And there's only one thing worse than being the person responsible for providing the likes of Jeffery Dahmer or John Wayne Gacy, Jr. the means to kidnap, torture and murder a child, and that's putting your self in the position of and being the victim. Are you willing to take that chance? I'm not. We don't want your death (or worse) hanging over my head simply because we were too lazy to enforce some simple rule on a message board.

That being said, I do not own this board; Optimist does. However, I can tell you this, regarding youth members of this board and personal information... 1) He has structured this message board to comply with the laws of the land, 2) He has also instituted additional rules to ensure that you take Youth Protection seriously in your use of this message board, and 3) He has appointed Moderators who are to, among other duties, ensure your compliance.

I'm human; I make mistakes. But, in this matter, there can be no mistakes. Should you choose not to comply with this warning, a Moderator will edit or even delete any post containing personally identifiable information pertaining to any youth member of this board. We can edit your posts and your signature file.

Thanks in advance for your attention to this matter.

R. W. Smith
Last edited by RWSmith on Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RWSmith
Site Admin

Return to General Info and FAQs (Official)